Every passenger entering (or returning) India has to pass through a Customs check. On clearing the immigration formalities, passenger has the option of seeking clearance through the two channels: Red Channel and Green Channel subjected to the nature of goods being carried.
- Green Channel for passengers not having any dutiable or prohibited goods.
- Red Channel for passengers having dutiable or prohibited goods.
Travelers should ensure
- All the passengers should file correct declaration of their baggage.
- Declaration of foreign exchange/currency has to be made before the customs officers in the following cases:
- Where the value of foreign currency notes exceeds US $ 5000 or equivalent.
- Where the aggregate value of foreign exchange including currency exceeds US $10,000 or equivalent.
- Trafficking of Narcotics and Psychotropic substances is a serious offence and is punishable with imprisonment.
For further details one can log on to the below site: